Interesting Facts

  • Interesting facts about Luxembourg

    • Area: 2,586.4 km2
    • Capital: Luxembourg
    • Population: 517,000 (2011)
    • Currency: Euro
    • Official Languages: Luxembourgish, French and German
    • Féte Nationale – 23 June
    • Calling Code: +352
    • Official Languages: Luxembourgish, French and German.
    • Luxembourgish was once a dialect, but today it is the official language. English is widely spoken.
    • Luxembourg is officially known as The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is boarded by Germany, France and Belgium.
    • Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in not only Europe but in the whole world.
    • Luxembourg is the only Grand Duchy left in the world. This means that it is a representative monarchy with a Grand Duke as head of country.
    • The literacy rate is 100%, and the quality of education is one of the highest in the world!
    • The main religion is Roman Catholic (97%) and the remaining 3% are a lot of beliefs, common among the narrow circles of the population.
    • Luxembourg is famous for its quality of banking services. At the moment, more than 150 banks of 25 countries are operating in Luxembourg. Interesting fact: Luxembourg is the second largest after the United States center of the investment fund.
    • Due to its important history in both the Roman and Spanish empires the whole of the city of Luxembourg is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
    • In the 19th century a famous French writer Victor Hugo lived in Vianden. The house where he lived in 1871, was turned into a museum. The Maison de Victor Hugo in Luxembourg is very popular among tourists.
    • Luxembourg is a founding member of many international and European organizations including the European Union, NATO, the United Nations, Benelux and the Western European Union.
    • The motto of Luxembourg is “Mir wëlle bleiwe wat mir sinn” which translated means “We want to remain what we are”.
    • The North region of Luxembourg is not very populous. There is only one town in the region with more than 4000 people (Wiltz).
    • Despite a dense network of roads and railways, forests cover a third of the country!
    • Underground tunnels with a length of over 21 km are hidden under the fortress of the capital of Luxembourg!
    • Luxembourg has mild winters and cool summers.
    • In Luxembourg, Europe’s largest television and radio company is operating. RTL-Group (Radio-Television-Luxembourg) operates on 34 television stations, 33 radio stations in 12 countries!